posted by Stephanie Krimmel
on Sun, 07/07/2013 - 1:58pm
Get involved with the Giving Garden
You are a valuable resource! There are many ways to get involved with the UpGarden Giving Garden:
- Join the UpGarden Giving Garden team: help in garden planning, work with local organizations, promote the Giving Garden, etc.
- Attend Giving Garden Work parties: roll up your sleeves and help for 2-4 hours during a work party, working on anything from planting seeds to harvesting produce
- Lead opportunities: take a leadership role on the Giving Garden team as a
- Grow Lead: manage the planting and growing of the Giving Garden
- Harvest Lead: manage the harvesting of produce
Email GivingGarden@UpGarden.org to sign up as a volunteer!
There are other Giving Garden Volunteer Opportunities outside of the UpGarden too:
- Giving Garden Network: volunteer on the new online portal, a resource for all area Giving Gardens
- Blues for Food Fest: volunteer on the event team or bake pies for this premiere annual Giving Garden fundraising event
Whenever you volunteer, remember to track your volunteer hours! Your time is valuable to you and the Giving Garden, especially for those gardeners needing to meet the 8 hour annual volunteer commitment requirement. Click here to learn how to track your UpGarden volunteer hours.
Donating for Giving
The UpGarden Giving Garden has two ways of growing and collecting donations:
- from the Garden and
- from our fellow gardening neighbors.
Here's how you can contribute:
- Grow a Row: Do you have room to grow a row of produce for those in need? If so, contact the GivingGarden@UpGarden.org to get started.
- Harvest Days: Every Sunday and Wednesday evening, starting at 6pm, the Giving Garden will harvest produce. This is a great way to earn your volunteer hours while meeting new people! Please join us at the Giving Garden (next to car) when you can and help us reach our 1,000 pound goal!
- Donation Program: Have you ever over-picked your produce wondering what I do with it all? Donate it! The Giving Garden could use your over-grown/picked produce. Simply drop off your extra produce in the trailer by Monday and Thursday (noon) and we will include your donation in our shelter delivery. There are a few steps, so please review the Giving Garden Programs document for details. Email Donations@UpGarden.org with questions.
- Gleaning Program: Did you know that Giving Gardeners are available to pick overgrown produce and donate it for you! Introducing the UpGarden Gleaning Program! Gleaning refers to the practice of harvesting produce from your plot, with your permission. Please review the Giving Garden Programs document for more information or email Donations@UpGarden.org.
Click here for more details of all Giving Garden Programs (PDF)